Africa Leadership Initiative West Africa (ALIWA) was birthed out of the Africa Leadership Initiative. The Africa Leadership Initiative (ALI), which was launched in 2002, was born out of realization that the best hope for Africa’s future lies in the investment in effective and enlightened leaders.
ALI was initiated by the effort of seven Partners:
- The Aspen Institute (United States),
- CETA Construction Services (Mozambique),
- The Databank Foundation (Ghana),
- Infotech Investment Group LTD (Tanzania),
- LEAP Africa (Nigeria),
- The Letsema Foundation (South Africa), and
- TechnoServe Inc. (Africa and United States)
All partners committed to fostering values-based, action-oriented leadership in Africa.
The Africa Leadership Initiative West Africa (ALIWA) was launched in 2006. It is a joint venture of the Aspen Institute, Databank Foundation, and LEAP Africa. The Aspen Institute provides intellectual & philosophical content; LEAP Africa and Databank Foundation serve largely as facilitators, working with local partners to plan, fund, and administer the Fellowship Programme.